Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Unlicensed person verbally told me he has "evey license to…

Customer Question
Unlicensed person verbally told me...
Unlicensed person verbally told me he has "evey license to any kind of project" I did asked him for the number, he never gave to me.He charged me $1200 to paint and put in 4 new windows. Those windows were completely ameurcher with only one screw on each side, my friend, a journeyman, had to take out the windows and do them all over. We never had a formal agreement of the work and compensation, but from text messages thread, it definitely has discussion of the price he asked and I agreed, the scope of things he did, and the checks I paid him. But it's very strange, all the checks he asked me to write in his wife's name. I checked, he is NOT a contractor in any catergory. I want to get my money back, first get the CSLB notified, but they don't get involved in collecting repairment payment. Without a formal written agreement, but with the threads of email proving how much I paid him and what work he did, I guess that's enough info for CSLB to look at it. However, all the checks were written to his wife's name, not his name. Why did he do this?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/22/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 4 months ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

California Business & Professions Code § 7031:

"(b) Except as provided in subdivision (e), a person who utilizes the services of an unlicensed contractor may bring an action in any court of competent jurisdiction in this state to recover all compensation paid to the unlicensed contractor for performance of any act or contract."

You can sue in Small Claims Court to recover whatever you paid the unlicensed contractor.

I am not sure why he wanted the checks made payable to his wife, there are many reasons he might have done that, and it doesn't help you for me to speculate.

I hope this information is helpful.

How do I find him with just his phone number? There are a lot of sites advertise to get people's addresses in the past, age, phone number and all that for a fee, do you have any knowledge of whether those ads are always updated as they claim? Or hire a PI and in a small city we both live in, any ball park figure? Thanks!

You could start by trying the reverse lookup at 411.org, a free site.