Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in Richmond, VA. I signed a contract with MONI home…

I live in Richmond, VA...
I live in Richmond, VA. I signed a contract with MONI home security monitoring service about 2.5 years ago. I recently found that they were over changing me and decided I wanted to end our service. I called them, they said my contact was for 5 years, they would refund the overcharge but would not end the contract unless I paid for the remaining 2.5 years. I have misplaced my copy of the contract but to the best of my memory it was a 2 year deal that would go month to month after 2 years. MONI sent me their copy of the contract. Their contract was not the same as the one I signed, it has several more pages and the signature on their contract is obviously not my signature. MONI is saying they can’t confirm it’s not my signature and since I don’t have a contract with other terms they will not end the contract. I expect that they will be sending a monthly bill soon, I want to know what I need to do to end this without giving them a chance to damage my credit rating.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Company will want to avoid being investigated and potential class claim from other customers.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Perfect! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer