Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a landline number that we have had for about 20

years. When we first got...
We have a landline number that we have had for about 20 years. When we first got it we would get calls all of the time for the previous owner of the number. Recently we have been getting calls from a collection agency for this person. They come in on the CI as "Unavailable" with a local area code and the person on the other end is a young woman. However the phone number itself is different each time. I have asked repeatedly asked that these people stop calling me and I am told that they will take my number off of their list. However when I say I've gotten these same calls before and have made the same request I am told that I have not previously been called from the current number and there is no guarantee I will not get the same type of call from another number in the future. How so I stop these calls? Who would I report them to? I have a list of the dates and times of the calls. Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You would report these harassing calls to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov

Credit collection agencies are not allowed to harass you like this. The government can and will fine them for persistent harassment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What information would I need to give them? All I currently have are the name of the people who have called and several different phone numbers.

You can get the name and address of the company they are working for. Then you can even send them a letter disputing the debt and referencing the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a Federal Act that says once you dispute a debt, they can't call you anymore. This isn't even your debt. They shouldn't be bothering you at all. They can be fined $1,000 for each incident afterwards. If they won't give you an address report what you have.

The Federal Trade Commission gives a wonderful overview of overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more, etc. And it is pretty straightforward. You can access that here.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

If these are out and out scammers, they may not respond to threats of Federal fines, but you can simply block them and report them to your police, to your state attorney General, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. We suspect these may be contract workers working for a debt collector who are just being given a list of people to call. For some reason they can't or don't bother to go back to whoever they are working for to report that they have outdated information. I will check out the links you have given me.

You're correct. People buy up debts for pennies on the dollar. They get old information, and they just harass whoever answers to convince them to pay debts they don't owe.

If you ask them to validate that you owe this debt in writing, then they are legally supposed to do so. Then you can dispute the debt and they have to leave you alone. They can't validate it as to you because it's not even your debt. But once you dispute it, they have to stop bothering you or each call can get them fined.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer