Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Overview- there is a new football stadium being built in Las…

Customer Question
Overview- there is a...

Overview- there is a new football stadium being built in Las Vegas. With all new stadiums, In order to become a season ticket holder you must now purchase a PSL, “Personal Seat License” for each seat that you buy. Yesterday I signed a contract purchasing 4 seats. I paid $16,000 up front with my credit card and then go into a payment plan. I called the salesman that helped me and told him I bit off more than I could chew and would like to cancel 2 of those seats. He said once the credit card was charged that there is nothing he can do. They have not emailed me a copy of the agreement/contract I signed at the time of signing. Do I have any options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I’m Nevada. 23 hours ago exactly

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I called and talk to the saleman. He said there’s nothing I can do at this point.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/21/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. One of the defenses is capacity, meaning that a person who is mentally ill, under the age of 18, under the influence of drugs/alcohol can have the contract voided. Additionally, if a party enters into an agreement under duress, it can be voided. Also, if the contract is so one-sided that it would be considered unconscionable, that is another reason. Finally, there is the issue of mistake. A court can declare that there is a mistake made by both parties as to the assumption on which the contract was based. For example, if both parties made an assumption that a certain event would occur, but the event does not occur, then the contract is voidable. Unless the agreement falls into one of these categories, then the agreement is enforceable.

You may need to try another way around this. One little known, but very effective tool that lawyers use when there isn’t a law that they can rely on to support their position is called principled negotiation. All this means is that you are looking to get something done on the basis of principles, even if you can’t find a law to support you. It takes the anxiety out of dealing with the other side because you’re focused on the facts, not each other.

Here are some simple steps you can follow:

1. Figure out what the other side’s interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

2. Think about what your interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

3. Come up with 2 to 3 reasonable and objective ways to solve the problem;

4. Present it to the other side;

5. If the other side rejects, ask them, “Is there a reason why you do not feel it is necessary to negotiate?”

Of course, these are just building blocks to get the other party to help solve the dispute. Believe me when I say that good lawyers use this technique all the time to keep things out of court. You’ll find that it is very effective even with the most stubborn of individuals.

So, in your case, you could mention that goodwill among the community is something that the Raiders need considering this is the reason they ended up having to leave California. You could mention that because the team is very popular out west, that someone would likely take your place. Also, see if you can find a buddy who can take it off your hands and offer it to them.

I'm very sorry about this. It's a tough situation to be in. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer