Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I want to check on the reputation of a Subaru dealership…

I want to check...

I want to check on the reputation of a Subaru dealership from whom I recently bought a used car. unbeknownst to me the sales contract included a warranty that added about $1950.00 to the cost. I immediately complained because I had rejected the warranty. They said they would take care of it. That was two months ago; meanwhile, the principal I'm financing from the bank hasn't diminished by 1.95k (they claimed they couldn't just cut me a check for that amt. but had to refund the bank). They haven't cut a check to me or the bank and I'm worried about their cash situation and this flim/flam about refunding the bank instead of me: a stalling tactic.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Purchased 1/16/18 at Suburban Subaru, ST. James, LI,NY.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have made several telcoms and an email to the woman who handled the paper work at the closing. She's hard to reach and despite assurances that it will be taken care of...no one can account for the delay and I suspect they have a cash flow problem.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can provide a copy of my email describing the closing meeting where the warranty problem began and to which my daughter was a witness.

3/21/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
I can not tell you about their reputation, as that is not really a legal issue, but I can tell you that it is a breach of contract if the warranty provides in its terms that a refund will be issued upon cancellation, and they have not done so.
Since the claim does not exceed $3000, you can sue the dealer and the warranty company in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
You should also file a consumer complaint with the NJ Attorney General. You can file online at the following link:
https://njconsumeraffairs.state.nj.us/file-a-complaint/Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
My problem is taking place in New York. Doesn't NY have an Attorney General?

Certainly.

Here is the link for NY complaints:

NY CONSUMER COMPLAINT

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer