Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband got a home equity loan on our previous house.

Customer Question
My husband got a...

My husband got a home equity loan on our previous house. This house has been sold 5 years ago. Now the bank is sueing us for none payment of the home equity loan. And threatening to foreclose. This house has been sold 5 years ago. How can they foreclose on a house we do not own anymore. How does this affect the current owners.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Mongomery Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats ii

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Texas law, unless the second mortgage was paid off when you sold the house, the new owner, not you is responsible for paying it. The lien will still exist until the loan is paid, so the new owner will have to clear the lien by paying off the loan. It is strange that the bank is suing you, because they can look on title and see who the present owner is and that person is responsible for clearing the loan. You have no liabiilty here and I suggest that you speak to the bank to get the lawsuit resolved, or else you may have to hire a lawyer to respond to get you off the hook for the home equity loan.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.