Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How much is this going to cost me. Can't afford this, cause…

Customer Question
How much is this...

How much is this going to cost me

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Can't afford this, cause I got drained from my acct

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Closed out checking accts. and debit cards and open new ones. reported it to the agency that handles frauds, for all kinds of accts. can't remember the name now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want TO KNOW if they can get my money back and can't afford putting any money out since I DON'T have any I am on social security

Lawyer's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money.

Ok will do will then take it from there thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I paid for a subscription for computer protection. They said they were from Team Viewer, and they were going out of business and they wanted to refund my money. They said that this was a new way now of refunding money, There business office is in India, but they offices in the US, They were putting $4,000 in my acct. which they did, and asked me to go to Best Buy and get a gift card for $2,000 and then Target for $1500. So stupid me, believed them and they said they were going to give me an extra $500 I got the gift cards, and when I got home looked on my acct they took the$4,000 out so it showed no deposit for that amount, and took our $3500.00 which overdrew my acct. They took out $1600 out of my money market acct. and put it into our joint acct and left me a balance of $17.00, and also took out $1,000 out of our joint acct. Someone was trying to do this to me again yesterday, and said they were giving me my money back and they worked for HP/windows. I almost did it, cause all I can think about is the money I lost. But the girls at Walmart , picked it up right away, that goodness for them. You would have thought I would have learned my lessen, but all I thought about is the money I lost. I have the cards still, and phone numbers they they gave me. I hope you can help me, I am on Social Security, and have health problems, and might be facing foreclosure which we are working on. Thank you ********

3/20/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Of course they are in India, that is how those criminals get to continue stealing money from people here in the US. You can report them to the FBI, http://www.ic3.gov, which handles these types of hackers and criminals. However, they are not officially located in the US and as such, you cannot sue them in the US. They operate anonymously in India, because nobody can or will sue them there.

You need to file fraud complaint with your bank and seek protection from your bank's fraud protection coverage, which is the only real protection and recourse you have here I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer