Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I've had a business during the first 6 mo. of last year. I…

Customer Question
I've had a business...

I've had a business during the first 6 mo. of last year. I was a psychologist. Now I'm a retired 70-year-old. Now, I'm sure you know the rule that any insurance company who doesn't reimburse me $600.00 in a given year does NOT have to report it to me on a 1099-MISC. So I don't have the numbers. Unfortunately, I was on 28 different panels.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MO lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Fret, worry, and stress. You see, I'm repaying $21,000, which was just settled.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/20/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

I am not quite sure what is exactly happening and what your question is. I am not sure what you mean about the 28 different panels. Possibly, you can rephrase it. I will see if I can help.

Reimbursement for services rendered. Not all patients have the same insurance companies. For example, I live in SC, but I may get a patient who has United Healthcare of California. The charge for the service is less than $600. Therefore, the law does not require that ins company to notify me of the payment. To make matters worse, these panels (as we call them) DO report them to IRS.To further compound the problem, I've just completed an audit for the past 5 yrs, leaving me owing IRS some $21,000, for which I've established a payment plan. The proviso is restrictive and there are some covenants I must adhere to. So far so good.Jack
Reimbursement for services rendered. Not all patients have the same insurance companies. For example, I live in SC, but I may get a patient who has United Healthcare of California. The charge for the service is less than $600. Therefore, the law does not require that ins company to notify me of the payment. To make matters worse, these panels (as we call them) DO report them to IRS.To further compound the problem, I've just completed an audit for the past 5 yrs, leaving me owing IRS some $21,000, for which I've established a payment plan. The proviso is restrictive and there are some covenants I must adhere to. So far so good.So, since the insurance company reports the income to IRS, and IRS won't give me that information, how can I obtain the records?Jack

Hold, please while I read.

Even if someone does not get a 1099 from various sources, it still counts as income to be included on a tax return. The person should be accounting for the revenue coming into the business. Is that what your question was about? Or is it something different?

Reimbursement for services rendered. Not all patients have the same insurance companies. For example, I live in SC, but I may get a patient who has United Healthcare of California. The charge for the service is less than $600. Therefore, the law does not require that ins company to notify me of the payment. To make matters worse, these panels (as we call them) DO report them to IRS.To further compound the problem, I've just completed an audit for the past 5 yrs, leaving me owing IRS some $21,000, for which I've established a payment plan. The proviso is restrictive and there are some covenants I must adhere to. So far so good.So, since the insurance company reports the income to IRS, and IRS won't give me that information, how can I obtain the records?JackYes, exactly. So how can I retrieve that information.

So, your question is how you can obtain information that the insurance company reports to the IRS? Did you ask the Insurance Companies for the information? Are you saying that you did not keep track of the payments, unfortunately?

Reimbursement for services rendered. Not all patients have the same insurance companies. For example, I live in SC, but I may get a patient who has United Healthcare of California. The charge for the service is less than $600. Therefore, the law does not require that ins company to notify me of the payment. To make matters worse, these panels (as we call them) DO report them to IRS.To further compound the problem, I've just completed an audit for the past 5 yrs, leaving me owing IRS some $21,000, for which I've established a payment plan. The proviso is restrictive and there are some covenants I must adhere to. So far so good.So, since the insurance company reports the income to IRS, and IRS won't give me that information, how can I obtain the records?JackYes, exactly. So how can I retrieve that information.Unfortunately is right! To further compound this crisis my receptionist absconded with ALL of my electronic records. You have given me a way out. I'll just report all of my deposits.
Glad to know you have a way out with the deposits. If the IRS or Insurance company will not give you the records then the deposits should be fine.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.