Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I signed a 20 year contract with Sungevity (which went

Customer Question
I signed a 20...

I signed a 20 year contract with Sungevity (which went bankrupt and was taken over by a company called Sungevity Kina'ole. When the panels were installed I was advised that they were legally only permitted to install enough panels to provide up to 80% of our monthly power usage. At the end of the first year we received a lump sum bill from PG&E for approx. $1,000 for the amount of power we received from PG&E. I am on schedule to receive another "June

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

"June Surprise" in the amount of approx. $1,000. I immediately called PG&E to inquire about the NEM charges of approx. $1,000. They repeated that that represented the amount I used over what the solar panels produced. When I asked for clarification they said the panels were only producing about 55% of the power I was using. I explained that I was told by the salesman that Sungevity was only allowed to install enough panels to produce up to 80% of my usage. However PG&E stated that the panels, while working at full capacity were only producing an average of 45% to 55% of my power usage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

PG&E then stated that they were not telling the truth and that they were allowed to installed up to 110% of . my normal usage. And that if the panels produced more than what I used, that I would I would NOT receive any rebate for excess power production. I really want out from under this company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have contacted Kina'Ole four times asking for a representative to contact me to install additional panels so I would no longer receive "June Surprises for NEM charges. NO ONE will call me back. They only say the panels they have installed are working at capacity and then they seemingly pat themselves on the back and assume the issue is closed. This is maddening!!!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/21/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Continuing to wait
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Are you asking if you can cancel based on breach?