Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are a chiropractic clinic in L.A. who saw two patients…

Customer Question
Hello there! We are...

Hello there! We are a chiropractic clinic in L.A. who saw two patients for consultation/exam and a couple of treatments due to an accident that occurred in Florida. The couple was on their way to Los Angeles on vacation when their uber driver was involved in an accident. From the beginning, the attorney refused to sign our lien and now he is refusing to compensate us due to Florida Statute 627.736C. This is completely unfair and unjust. Is there a way around this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No, we have not. We are not sure who we would need to speak to regarding this issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have tried repeatedly to speak with the attorney but he does not accept our calls. We do not know Florida law so we are not sure how to proceed. This is really unfair practice and I am sure there is a way around this statute but do not know where to begin.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this point.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to file a claim with the insurer involved in the accident for payment under FL law. If they do not pay, then you would need to sue the patients in court in FL to seek to recover the money, but the FL law does nor require the attorney to sign a lien or pay you out of the settlement. So, since the attorney is not willing to compensate you if the patient or the insurer is not willing to pay you, then you have to sue the patients in court in FL to collect.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.