Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Five years ago, I returned a coffee table to a showroom in…

Customer Question
Five years ago, I...

Five years ago, I returned a coffee table to a showroom in San Diego. With the owners permission, I was given an email credit by my sales person. I wanted to use it now, and was told that the the owner cannot find an , because I was told it will be in the computer, The sales person is no longer there, and the owner says he can't find any written confirmation about the credit. He is willing to give me the full credit. What are my rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

It's California. The issue began January 3, 2018. The credit is from October 23,2013

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The owner said I could buy a product from him, and he will split the cost with me up to the credit worth, $3,806.25

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it. I think.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/19/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

do you have any proof of the amount in your e-mail? how much are you claiming?

The only proof is the email from the salesperson

That e-mail should exist, and you may search your archives as should the company. If cannot be found, would recommend negotiating for a credit at or around the amount you believe was issued.

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "yes"

I have the copy of the email. But the owner is looking for additional paperwork which he can’t find. And he cannot find the email that we have from his ex salesperson. So is my
email legal enough to sue him for the full refund?
it is although I would look to resolve first.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
His offer is if we buy product, we pay 1/2 the cost, and the other half comes from the credit. Eg. if a table is $2200. We pay $1100. And he’ll take the other $1100 from our credit.
You should get the full amount without conditions.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
What is the least expensive way of doing this leagally?
Have a lawyer pursue on commission or seek to settlePlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Do you recommend a lawyer, and how much commission should I expect to pay?
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. 25-33 percent standard commission fee.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Thank you for the advice. I must take a break to give everyone dinner. If I have further questions later, will it be counted as part of this session?
Sure. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated! Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.