Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’m going through a problem with the dealership. I purchase…

Customer Question
My name is*****’m going...

My name is*****’m going through a problem with the dealership. I purchase a vehicle in January, the beginning of March i received a text that the lender montie information and the dealership will pay the first payment. A few days later I received a call that the lender made a error and they pushing my first payment head so i want have no late fees. I received number of phone call and text with different stories. No bank contact me at all. It’s a no binding agreement. What can i do I am on the edge of returning the vehicle.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Michigan and I contact many attorneys no one could help me

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I call the dealership n ask what happened n the just telling me to come in and resign the contact

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just what steps should I do

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/19/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Troy Gorman,
 replied 3 months ago
Troy Gorman

Sorry to hear you are being caused such confusion by this dealership. Unfortunately, this happens from time to time when the dealership does not follow proper procedure. When you are purchasing a vehicle that you intend to finance, the dealership is not supposed to let you leave the dealership without first having confirmation from a lender/bank that they will cover the loan based upon your credit worthiness. Many times, because the dealership is in a rush, is backed up with orders, or just plain being lazy, they will finalize the purchase agreement and let you drive off with the vehicle BEFORE they have a bank willing to handle the loan. Most of the time they get away with it, but sometimes they are unable to actually secure the financing or do so at the interest rate and payment that they promised! That's when they start giving you excuses and tell you that you need to come back and sign a new agreement. This is illegal in most states, and if reported to the state attorney general could result in an investigation and possible sanctions against the dealership. The options you have are, 1. Sign the new agreement as long as it is at terms you agree with; 2. Tell the dealership that you already have a contract with them and that you will NOT sign a new agreement, and that you need to know which bank to send the payment to, or you will just send the payment to the dealership; 3. Tell the dealership that if they want to cancel the agreement, that you will just give them the vehicle back and consider the contract cancelled, and will not be signing a new purchase agreement. If they try to threaten you or tell you they will harm your credit score in any way, I would recommend that you contact the attorney general in your state and file a complaint against them with that agency. I hope that I have answered your question satisfactorily, and that you are able to give me a good rating. If not, or if you have other questions, please contact me again. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you luck.