Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Situation: Two people who know each other are driving in a…

Situation: Two people who know...
Situation: Two people who know each other are driving in a car, Driver (owner of the cars ) stops to pick up another person he knows. Passenger does not know the 3rd person . 3rd person get in the car, into the back seats , has a conversation with the driver then exits the car, once out of the car 3rd person starts shooting at the car wounding the passenger and damaging the car. Insurance company for the driver , fixes the car but says they are not responsible for the medical bills and other payment to the passenger. This does not seem right , What can be done
3/18/2018
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

The gunshot victim can sue the shooter and file a police report.

The victim may be able to sue the driver also. Usually the Courts hold that the criminal act of a third paty is an unforeseeable factor for thich the driver and owner of the vehicle is not responsible. But in this situation, if you can prove that the driver knew that the shooter was likely to shoot at the car, the driver can be held liable. The driver exposed the victim to danger by giving a ride to the shooter. If the driver knew the shooter was dangerous, the driver can be held liable. If the driver is liable for negligence, the auto liability insurer may be liable because this incident arose out of the use of the car.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you very much for the positive rating!