Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My friend bought a used car day before yesterday. It quit…

Customer Question
Hi, My friend bought...

Hi, My friend bought a used car day before yesterday. It quit within 24 hours. A mechanic said it had been wired incorrectly and was a fire hazard. We are in Mississippi. Does the state Lemon Law apply to used cars? She bought this from a car dealer. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet. We thought we would have it towed to the dealership and demand the money back, but we need to know more about the law before we do anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The dealership told us more than once that they have a 2 year warranty on the car.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mississippi. I looked it up and it said lemon laws apply to used cars MOST of the time, depending upon the warranty.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

replied 4 months ago

The Mississippi lemon law applies to warranties and not whether the car is new or used. So, you need to determine whether there is still a warranty on your car. If there is a warranty in effect, then you can proceed under the Mississippi lemon law.

Under the Mississippi lemon law, the dealership must have the opportunity to fix the defect. If they cannot fix it within 15 business days, or you have to return it to the dealership 3 or more times to fix the same problem, you can sue them under the lemon law.

If you get the feeling that the dealership is being uncooperative, I would consult an attorney immediately. Here is an attorney who handle lemon law cases in Mississippi: BRIAN K. HERRINGTON (###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### https://www.herringtonlawpa.com/lemon-law (Jackson)

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.