Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

MA**" Smith' was on MassHealth for a few years because he…

Customer Question
MA** "***** *****' was on...
MA** "***** *****' was on MassHealth for a few years because he lost his job and then started a business that wasn't profitable. in 2017 his business became hugely profitable. Early 2018 John had a $60k procedure, all of which was covered by Masshealth. however, John has a bad habit of not filing his tax returns until late and he didn't file his 2017 returns until September 2018. MassHealth has already reviewed his file in the spring of 2018 and had only the 2016 tax returns to go off of, and since 2016 showed a loss, MassHealth continued John's coverage. In the spring of 2019 Masshealth reviews eligibility, sees John's 2017 profitable year, and determine he's no longer eligible for MassHealth going forward. Would John be responsible for the early 2018 $60k procedure because he technically earned enough in 2017 to not be eligible for Masshealth coverage, but Masshealth didn't discover this until 2019 because John filed his 2017 late in 2018. What if John did file his 2017 on time in March 2018 and Masshealth saw this in their review in the spring of 2018-- would he still be asked to return the $60k that Masshealth paid on his behalf? Or would Masshealth assume responsibility for the fact that people 'fall through the cracks' because they have chosen to set their review in the spring.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/17/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Wendy, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
I would still like assistance! thanks!
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am having difficulty following your narrative here.

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the relevant dates, and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation.