Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a son that has a leased car. The lease and insurance…

Customer Question
I have a son that...
I have a son that has a leased car. The lease and insurance are in his name. I co-signed the lease. do I have any liability if he gets into an accident with the car.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/16/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. The full answer to your question would depend on the actual terms of the lease you co-signed and whether you are considered a co-owner/co-lessee as well as being responsible for payments under the lease. As just a co-signer for financial purposes, assuming you are not a co-lessee (meaning you co-signed essentially as back-up payment on the lease but not as another person leasing the vehicle), you are not typically liable for the injuries and damages from an accident involving that vehicle, but you would be liable to make any lease payments due if your son misses them after an accident or where the car is damaged in an amount that results in its being totaled; you may still have responsibility (with your son) for any remaining payments under the lease that weren't fully reimbursed by insurance. The key to whether you might have additional liability in the case of accident, will depend on how the car is titled and whether, as mentioned above, you could be characterized as a co-lessee. In that situation, you could be sued as an "owner" and possibly for negligent entrustment of the vehicle to your son. And, it is important to know that in any lawsuit resulting from an accident, it would not be uncommon for anyone associated with the vehicle to be sued, even if ultimately they cannot collect any damages (money) from you.

It is admirable to assist your son with this transaction and I hope this information is helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

​Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.