Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I received a documentment that I was being sued for a

I received a documentment...

I received a documentment that I was being sued for a medical bill in nov. 2017. It said to reply within 21 days, I did with bank statements showing I paid debt. It was stamped and dated by the clerk. Then Feb 2 2018 I received letter stating that a judgement was given to the collection agency saying I didn't respond. I call the collection agency and they acknowledged they were aware that I responded and could I give them copies again. I ask for two weeks due to illness. Then I received letter for hearing for garnishment of my wages scheduled April 10, 2018. How can this be fair? What can I do? This is for a surgery I had in 2012. They said it was 2700 some dollars and now they want 4500 some dollars. I am partially disabled and have a chronic illness. I spend a lot of time on disability. And if they garnish my wages I won't be able to buy my medications which are very expensive. My employer has been working with me so that I can have a job with health insurance to pay for my meds and have income. I need help, I paid this debt and they are trying to collect anyway.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana, indianapolis

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have been reading to see what I can do, I was going to try and file an objection the this, if it's possible

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/16/2018
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

If you filed something that could be called an answer to the complaint within the 20 day answer period, I am very surprised that the court entered a default judgment. Usually the court will set the matter for a trial based upon your answer denying the liability. You can file a motion to have the court set aside the default judgment under Indiana Trial Rule 60 (b)(6), alleging excusable neglect. https://definitions.uslegal.com/i/indiana-trial-rule-60/ The court should give you an opportunity to present your defense.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. (Scroll to the top of this reply to locate the rating buttons.) If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
That's what I thought, I couldn't believe this could all happen by mail without a hearing or something. How would I file this or how much would it cost to have you do this, or is there a form. Thank you very much for the quick response.

I can help you prepare a motion to vacate. Please tell me the Cause No. of the case. It begins with 49D__. -1711-etc...

49D121711PL041520, thank you
My number is(###) ###-####you may call anytime. Or if you have a specific time I should call you please let me know.