Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Our company (in Canada) feels that we were intentionally…

Hello. Our company (in...

Hello. Our company (in Canada) feels that we were intentionally misled by a company in the US. We paid an annual fee of $880 and would like to have that refunded but they are unwilling. What kind of recourse do we have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have been emailing with them. I do have proof.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/15/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are in Canada, but they are in the US, you would need to sue them in the US in the city where they are located. You can sue them in Small Claims Court, without an attorney, since the amount of money is not large. You can add in the reasonable cost of travel to the US to sue them as part of your damages as well. So you would need to travel to the US to file suit and they will be served and then you would need to return to the US one more time for trial, but you can include those costs in your damages that you sue for.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.