Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have two American Express cards (platinum and gold) I have…

Customer Question
I have two American Express...
I have two American Express cards (platinum and gold) I have never been late on my payments as they are business credit cards. I have never given American Expess permission to withdraw money from my account for Payment. On Feb 17, I was altered that AMerican Express had withdrawn a total of $24,000 from my business checking account and tbe bill was due that same day the money was withdrawn. I am pretty certain that what American Express has done is illegal. And I have been given the run around from every American Express employee. They have repeatedly not documented conversations that I previously had with American Express trying to resolve the issue so I have to start new telling the story from the beginning with each person in discuss this with. I would also like to point out that I spoke to AE on recorded line on 2/12/18 and i was asked if they could schedule a payment and i said i would need to wait until i was i. Front of my computer. I specifically said prior to hanging up that i absolutely do not authorize anyone from AE to take money out of my account. Your thoughts ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fairly simple question can please have an update
3/15/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you did not have a autopay authorization, AE cannot take money from your account without your authorization to do so. Even when you pay online through your checking account you have to check the box saying you authorize them to take the money, they cannot just take it.

If you did not authorize them, you can sue them for the damages that they caused you in taking the money from your account. If it did not cause you financial damage in them taking the money from your account, then you have to prove some financial damage in order to sue them. You also can report them to the federal trade commission for improperly taking money from the account without your authorization.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer