Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Regarding time to respond to a summons. i have 30days after…

Customer Question
regarding time to respond to...
regarding time to respond to a summons.
i have 30days after being served.. if the 30th day falls on a Saturday, do I have until that following Monday.. Since the courts are closed on Saturday.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/15/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Could you let me know in which state you live?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
California

The standard for the computation time is to count the number of days and if the last day is a weekend or holiday then the next business day will be used. I have attached a link here that sets it out in that Saturdays are excluded. Finally, just as a practical tip, I always try to file things a little bit early just to avoid someone trying to make an argument that my count was off. However, that having been said, if the last day is a Saturday, then that day is excluded.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer