Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am having problems with a storage company. I am a senior…

Customer Question
I am having problems...

I am having problems with a storage company. I am a senior citizen and feel like I am being attacked by them. I had 2 storage containers at our home and another at another location. I was called by the people at the storage unit and told that they had neglected to charge for the one at the other location so they were going to back charge me. We got into a small confrontation as I told them I didn't know what I was going to do when they contacted me last July right after my husband passed away.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in tucson, Arizona and was continuing to type when it went to this screen.The money was taken out of my account on a monthly basis and I had asked them not to take it out until after the 15th or 16th of every month, unfortunately back in November, there was not enough in my account and since I had my phone number changed for obvious reasons said they could not get in contact with me. So instead of mailing me something, they came and took one of my containers with my husbands things in it. I immediately phoned them and they said they couldn't get ahold of me so I apologized and told them to go ahead and take the money out of the bank as the funds were there. I emptied the other container that was at the house and told them to pick it up and was complaining because they were still charging for a container I no longer had. I was upset and said I was going to get in contact with a lawyer and contact the better business bureau after the gentleman told me I told him back in November that I didn't want it. Why would I even say that when it holds things so dear. I would like to know why they were charging to pick up the unit when I had to pay delivery and pick up when I ordered it. Now they are charging me $70. for the one that is at the other location plus $150. yard storage also another $70. for the one at the other location (which is now empty). and say I owe them over $2,000. I sent someone over to the yard where the unit was being stored to make sure it was there and has not been opened. They would not let him go near the unit but he was able to see the lock was on from a distance. They were extremely rude to him and was told that home office calls me on a daily basis which is not true at all.( Every time I call they tell me the person is away from his desk or on the phone). so I immediately called and this time a gal took the call and I recorded the whole conversation which may not be legal. I don't get mail at the location where the unit is located but one of my coworkers looked at the mailbox and they had put a whole stack of invoices in it all folded so I asked her about that and she said "well what did you want us to do with the paperwork" I said they could have mailed it as I do have a mailing address. I didn't tell her I had a picture and could turn it in as that is a federal mailbox. Anyway I told her to go ahead and take money from my account last month so the only month they did not get paid was in November and are still overcharging. I am still going through things over my husband we had no life insurance and I had to move from the home the 2 containers were located. The reason I need help is because another person left a message on my phone yesterday saying it is urgent I contact them. I don't understand why I am being victimized is it because he called at a bad time right after my husband passed away? I will be 69 this year and can't deal with all this. I have been dealing with his things and trying to sell what I can. The other container is now empty and they can pick it up but don't want to call until I get some help

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None I have only spoken with them on the phone when they call or return their calls except for yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just don't know what my rights are or what I can do. I feel they are taking advantage of me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/15/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Michelle-Mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-Mod
Michelle-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
please I need helpThank you
Please they are giving us a hard time. They were laughing when they picked up the unit and said “ it’s her” now they want over $2,000 for storage (since November)plus they were charging $70. Per month plus $290 storage fees I wasn’t feeling well and had someone else callPhoenix to pick up the empty unit and they told him oh she owes Carlos a bunch of money. How is that possible since you pay pick up and delivery when you order it. I need help
Consumer Protection Lawyer: attyadvisor, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. The site asked me to see if you still needed assistance? I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure too assist you.

I need help now!!!!! Why can’t someone contact me

I am here.

You want to contact the Arizona Attorney General and tell them that you are being exploited by this company. You can also file a police report. You stated you are in Tucson, I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in the area. I can also provide a link for FREE legal assistance for you. Have filed any consumer protection complaints against the company?

Contact the Attorney General and file a complaint at https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer

Are you living in Tucson City limits?

Are you online with me? I don't see any responses from you.