Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

On Feb 16 I went into a local restaurant/bar like I have for…

Customer Question
On Feb 16 I...

On Feb 16 I went into a local restaurant/bar like I have for several years. Server served me my usual drink without me ordering. Another server told me the girls/ waitresses didn't want me in there. I shoved my drink off the bar onto the floor behind the bar to my knowledge not striking any person and walked out. left and went to another establishment. On Feb 18 I was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery. When I got my last credit card statement they fraudulently charged me $14.55 dated the 17th. I never gave them my credit card nor could they have my signature. So I have an Ace in the hole and not sure how to play it. I'm out on bond and waiting for a court date. Not sure how to plea. But I'm more concerned with pressing charges for the fraud.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Florida, Palatka Incident Feb 16 2018 Fraudulently charge Feb 17 2018 Arrest Feb 18 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

On the fraud? I talked to Citibank and ask them not to do anything yet. They called Monday inquiring and I haven't responded .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/14/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
KnowYourRights
Good morning. So you never ordered the drink? What happened in the past when you entered? Would they serve you your usual?
A lots happened in the past. Brief summary. I'm a fit single retired 65 year old man. Had a couple of stand offs with other drunks there. Pissed a slow waitress off one time. Always order big and tip big. I've been in there over the last year with 6 or 7 18, 18, 19,20,19, 18 year old girls. And the female waitresses don't like it. They know there whores. And people don't want to see that. I understand. The business didn't make the complaint. There one male server/bodybuilder Alan Umstead claims I directed the drink toward him. Never had a beef with him. He was to my left. Drink went to the right. Not directed towards anyone. They have surveillance. I feel would exonerate me. Probably been erased by now. But if they go through with it. Paybacks are hell. Fraud. By the way. I sent a letter of apology and forty bucks and assured them they would never see me again. Also I just happened to run into Alan the following evening at Pub lix and humbly apologized to him and ask him if he saw what I did. To my surprise he said I directed it at him. News to me............

Thank you for the reply. If the charge was unauthorized, you can dispute it with your bank and they will need to show proof that you paid for this and agreed to it. If they have no receipts or anything to evidence it and just charged the card, the bank may find in your favor. It is a civil matter at this point. Now, if you file a report, the police could investigate the employee who charged this and decide if they want to charge them. However, it is unrelated to the alleged incident which you are charged with, so I do not think that by addressing this with them, the "victim" may all of a sudden decide to not cooperate with the State. You never know but the police may not charge and may claim that they did charge this on your card, once the glass was broken and that they had a right to bill you for the damage.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!