Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Wify is my military dependent. She is entitled to tricare…

Wify is my military dependent...
Wify is my military dependent. She is entitled to tricare select. She moved to florida while on vacation and she fell sick. Went to a doctor and present our insurance card. They took care of us. 6 month down later, we received a letter from collection asking for 1000$. Money that was charged for lab test Suspect which we were never informed were out of pocket. What are my chances that i can fight ba k against the charges? And the fact that it affects my credit poorly. I was never informed at any point by lab center or hospital that I was in debt. It went straight to collection.
3/14/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, what is TRICARE saying about this?

Nothing

OK...but this is covered by TRICARE, no? Should't you perhaps be engaged with them?

I think what happen is the fact we left our primary care provider that we were assigned back in ks and moved to fl temporarily. They might not have covered the expenses. Now they changed their policy to where you can use it nationwide to any provider. My only problem is that the lab knew our intent was to use tricare and we present our card they enter it in the system and at no point told us that we had to pay out of pocket. Never informed of the bill until it went to collection. Wify credit report is affected as a result.
Is there a way that i can fight the charges now the policy is changed? And the fact they never informed us?

Ok...I do not understand your question then...what do you mean "fight back against the charges"? Are you asking if the hospital can demand you pay the bill? If not what is your question?

I am asking is there any legal ground that i can use to not have to pay the charges because we were informed they were going to bill us. We found out about the bill when it went to collection and our credit report is now negatively affected.
I meant we were not informed

THank you

If the bill is valid? They can force you to pay. The fact the creditor sent the bill to a collection agency is not relevant...it does not matter. At all. From a legal standpoint, the creditor is free to do this. So the fact they did not notify you before sending this to a collections agency will not help you.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the fact they sent this to collections is a basis to fight the charges, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.

What about the fact that tricare just recently changed it policy to where i could have used any provider nationwide. Can i get them to pay for the expenses now? Since it would have been covered under this new policy.

No. You can force TRICARE to honor the existing policy...but you can not force them to give you the benefit of a policy change that tool place after the event. You can certainly make the request...but you can not force them to apply the new policy.

P. Simmons, Lawyer