Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My business of 32 years burned down from a fire started next…

Customer Question
My business of 32...

My business of 32 years burned down from a fire started next door. I own an aerospace company with 3 subs. Everything burned up and my insurance company (Farmers) is offering me ten cents on the dollar for a settlement. Any suggestions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing filed as of yet and it has been reported.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is about it and I am not yet ready to retire even though I am 73.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am so sorry you have suffered this loss. Insurance claims can be extremely stressful and frustrating. The key in an instance like this is to ask a lot of questions about how they calculated your loss and to review your policy as to how such claims would be determined. If you do believe the amount being offered/paid for the claim does not satisfy the terms of the policy, you should challenge that amount. You will need to have good documentation of what was actually lost in the fire, including description of all items and property (personal and real property), photos if you have them, the amount you paid for them, what their current value is, etc. A lot of times a claim is determined based on a very quick formulaic evaluation by an insurance adjuster. You do not have to accept the claim amount but certainly do not want to outright refuse it. Instead, be sure you are being provided an itemized statement of what is being paid for what items and then figure out if there is anything you have to counter the valuation. You may also want to communicate with the people next door where the fire started and make sure they have put their insurance carrier on notice that you may also have a claim. It is not just your insurance that may provide coverage.

This is such a tragic situation. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered you question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action issuing proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Happy Friday. I just wanted to check in to see if there was anything more I can do to help answer you questions.