Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son bought a 2016 Kia which is still under warranty. He…

My son bought a...

My son bought a 2016 Kia which is still under warranty. He has taken in in 4 different times to 2 different dealerships and they have not been able to resolve the problem. The car stops excelerating while it is being drive. I need to know my options. They are trying to sale him a new car

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Florida Car is a 2016 he bought it in September

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet he’s been trying to get it fixed

Answered in 1 day by:
3/14/2018
Troy Gorman

The laws that would apply to your son's vehicle are the Lemon Law and/or breach of warranty. The lemon law can be violated two ways, 1. the vehicle is out of service at least 30 days during the first year that you own it, or 2. the vehicle is in for service at least 3 to 4 times for the same "defect or condition". Either one of these events will also trigger a breach of warranty. The difference is that the Lemon Law can make a manufacturer buy a vehicle back, and breach of warranty generally results in compensation to assist in trading or repairing the vehicle. Although it sounds like you have a case, an attorney would need to review the purchase and repair records to tell you more specifically what your options are. Another aspect of these laws is that they require a manufacturer to pay the attorney fee and costs, so if you have a case, you will not need to pay an attorney to handle it for you. I hope this has answered your questions, and that you feel it is worthy of a good rating. If not, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Troy T. Gorman. Esq.

Troy Gorman