Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Also, what is best way to change my identity, clean up known…

Also, what is best way...
Also, what is best way to change my identity, clean up known identity falsities on my credit reports that keep getting put back on there after i clear them off, or get official protection for my identity legally and correctly?
3/13/2018
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. What type of incorrect information is showing up?

There is a past address linked to me that i have not ever lived at.
This must be reason for totals being too questionable. Either way the address must be removed finally and completely or.... i have property i forgot about.
Have you written to the three credit bureaus asking them to remove incorrect information?
No because it was on one site and not the others and i cleaned it off, then it was on on another sites report that did not have it before.

Thank you for the clarification. You would send a letter to all three. I will provide the links. If any of them do not remove the improper information there are State and Federal Agencies that can assist in having the incorrect information removed. One moment please.

"To correct errors on your credit report, you need to contact the credit bureau that is showing erroneous information. Your FICO® score uses the information on your credit reports to calculate your FICO score, so inaccurate or incorrect information on your credit report can hurt your score.

myFICO customers can use the following contact information to reach each bureau:

Equifax

Equifax Disputes
All disputes with Equifax are handled online.

Experian

Experian Disputes
All disputes with Experian are handled online.

TransUnion

1-***-***-****
TransUnion Disputes
2 Baldwin Place, P.O. BOX 1000
Chester, PA 19022
TransUnion Disputes

Here are your rights regarding information on your credit report:

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is designed to help ensure that credit bureaus furnish correct and complete information to businesses to use when evaluating your application.

Your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

• You have the right to receive a copy of your credit report. The copy of your report must contain all of the information in your file at the time of your request.
  • You have the right to know the name of anyone who received your credit report in the last year for most purposes or in the last two years for employment purposes.
  • Any company that denies your application must supply the name and address of the credit bureau they contacted, provided the denial was based on information given by the credit bureau.
  • You have the right to a free copy of your credit report when your application is denied because of information supplied by the credit bureau. Your request must be made within 60 days of receiving your denial notice.
  • If you contest the completeness or accuracy of information in your report, you should file a dispute with the credit bureau and with the company that furnished the information to the bureau. Both the credit bureau and the furnisher of information are legally obligated to investigate your dispute.
  • You have a right to add a summary explanation to your credit report if your dispute is not resolved to your satisfaction..." https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/questions/fix-errors-on-credit-report/

If you dispute an item in your credit report, and the credit reporting agency refuses to correct it, there are additional steps you can take to remedy the problem.

Why the CRA Might Not Correct Your Credit Report

You have a right to dispute any inaccuracies in your credit report. Once you dispute an item in your report, the credit reporting agency (CRA) has a duty to either delete the information or further investigate the matter and then report back to you...

Sometimes the credit reporting agency will respond that the creditor reporting the information verified its accuracy and completeness, and that the information will remain in your file.

What to Do if the CRA Doesn’t Correct Your Report

If this happens, and you still believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete, you will need to take more aggressive action to clean up your credit report. This may be frustrating and time-consuming.

Here are some ideas to help you in your efforts to fix your credit report.

Contact the Creditor or Debt Collector Directly

Contact the creditor or bill collector associated with the incorrect information and demand that it tell the credit reporting agency to remove the information. Write to the president or CEO...

If you already contacted the creditor directly, it does not have to deal with this dispute again, unless you supply more information. However, if you escalate your complaint because you believe the dispute was not properly investigated, and you demonstrate a strong basis for your belief, the furnisher is likely to respond.

If the creditor is local, pay a visit. Sit down in the office of the customer service department, vice president of marketing, or president or CEO. Stay until someone agrees to meet with you and hear your problem. Remember: You have the right to demand attention; if this creditor has verified incorrect information, that incorrect information should be removed from your credit report.

If you get a letter from the creditor agreeing that the information is incorrect and should be removed from your credit file, send a copy of the creditor’s letter to the credit reporting agency.

If a creditor cannot or will not assist you in removing the incorrect information, call the credit reporting agency directly. Credit reporting agencies have toll-free numbers to handle consumer disputes about incorrect items in their credit files that are not removed through the normal reinvestigation process....

File a Complaint About the Credit Reporting Agency

You can file a complaint about a credit reporting agency with the Federal Trade Commission using its online form. Go to www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov. You can also contact the FTC by phone (at(###) ###-#### or by mail (at FTC Consumer Response Center, CRC-240,***** NW, Washington, DC 20580).

File a Complaint About the Creditor

If the creditor that furnished the incorrect or incomplete information fails to correct it or advise the credit reporting agency of a correction, or if it advises the credit reporting agency of the correction, but then reports the erroneous information again later, you can file a complaint either with the FTC (see above) or, if the creditor is a large financial institution, with the federal agency that oversees that type of financial institution. The new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau oversees many types of financial agencies, so you might be able to file a complaint there. Visit its website at www.consumerfinance.gov and click on Submit a Complaint...https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/if-the-credit-reporting-agency-does-not-correct-your-report-what-do.html

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

Did I answer your questions?

attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer
Thank you.

Thank you!