Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need to know how I can protect my bank account against a…

I need to know how...
I need to know how I can protect my bank account against a levy from an insurance company who is seeking payment in a suit where I was the at fault party in an car accident while having no insurance on my vehicle
3/13/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Have they obtained a judgment?

Do they know where you bank?

Have you considered filing for bankruptcy protection?

they have filed for a default judgement . I assume they do not know where I bank but wouldn t that info be easy for them to find out? I do not have a job at the present and most of my creditors on my report are hospital bills and two credit cards from many many years ago
what are the criteria I have to meet to file for bankruptcy in north Carolina and how do I start the process

You need to defend the suit and not let them obtain the default judgment.

You should file a response asking that your technical default be excused and you be given leave to file an answer to the complaint. You can then answer with a general denial and force them to prove the claim. You can them try to leverage the defense into a settlement.

they already filed the judgement how do I stop it

You will need to file a motion to vacate the default as soon as possible.

you are great no one else given me this suggestion . thank you very much ! how do I file a motion and with whom ? I will get this done first thing in the morniing

You would file with the clerk of the court, set a date with the judge's clerk and serve it on the other side's attorney, along with the notice of motion.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

first file with the clerk a motion to vacate the default and ask for a leave to answer. then set a date with judge to defend myself aand serve tha plaintiffs attorney with date for court and motion. is this the correct procedure? I just received the papers for a default judgement on last Thursday. how long before its signed in nc
r u still there
on the procedure, if the default has been heard and entered by the court.
will do. once again thank you for such helpful, detailed, and informative information . I would rate you ten stars If that was possible! Again thanks a lot . good night
You are very welcome.If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer