Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I put a down payment ($10,000)down on a car that a dealer…

I put a down payment...
I put a down payment ($10,000)down on a car that a dealer was going to buy at auction last April . I am now 11 months later and I still have no vehicle due to a number of issues he is having with the car. The agreement was to pay half down and the other half when the car was completed to finalize the transaction. This is the 5th transaction I have done with him and we have no paper contract. Our entire deal is spelled out via text( 90% of our communication was via text). I’m afraid I’ll have to sue to get my money back. What kind of statute of limitations am I subject to in the state of Virginia? What docs or proof do I need to bring to court. This guy lives in both NC and VA. Should I sue him in my home city or should I sue him where his business is?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case.Better to sue where defendant is located.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Any ideas on my legal timeline... I’m afraid it maybe 1 year. If I file a lawsuit but it isn’t heard until after the one year mark do I still have a case?
Claim is timely. Once filed it doesn’t matter how long it takes.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer