Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is American Express allowed to contact my sister, with a…

Customer Question
Is American Express allowed...

Is American Express allowed to contact my sister, with a different name, in a different state and different phone number, regarding my credit card. I did not use my card for many years and the contacted her to say I needed to call them because they we canceling my card immediately. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I live in Pennsylvania my sister is in Massachusetts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know. Under privacy laws I don't understand how my personal information can be shared

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/12/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

How did they get your sister's number?

What did they want from her?

Have they called her more than once or twice?

They only called once and left a message. She returned their call and discussed their canceling my card. I don't know how they got her number. It was never connected to my account.
She called to let me know they'd called. She returned their call not understanding if they were calling about her account or mine.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, it is not, in and of itself, for a creditor to phone anyone they want to try to contact you about paying a debt owed directly to them. There are limitations on who a third party debt collector can call, but not on the actual creditor, so long as it does not cross the line into actual harassment.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Thank you for your advise. What is bothering me is that I do owe them anything. They were not collecting a debt.

Thank you for the clarification.

Their attempt to reach you demonstrated poor judgement and even poorer customer service, but it is not illegal.

Ok thanks
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer