Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm adding a vehicle to a car insurance policy, it's a 2004…

i'm adding a vehicle to...
i'm adding a vehicle to a car insurance policy, it's a 2004 jaguar x-type. Do I need to add a collision coverage? with the value of the car I don't think I need this but if the car was hit and it is the other party's fault, will their insurance not cover the vehicle repair?
3/12/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are in an accident where the other party is "at fault" then theoretically their insurance policy will cover the damage to your vehicle. However, there are times when someone is uninsured or underinsured (as in the case where there might be several cars in an accident and their coverage doesn't cover all of the damages) where you would not be made whole. Also, of course, if you are at fault in an accident or have a single car accident, and you don't carry collision coverage, then you will have to cover your vehicle damages out of pocket.

Many people decide, when their car is paid off and not worth very much, just to forego collision coverage. It is a personal decision. Please feel free to ask for clarification. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer