Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter purchased a car a month ago. She got the loan…

Customer Question
My daughter purchased a...

My daughter purchased a car a month ago. She got the loan preapproved through her financial institution that she had an existing car loan with.. The day she was at the car lot the car dealer asked her to call and get the pay off on her existing car. She did that and they quoted her a different pay off amount than what she thought it was they have her on a recording questioning the amount and the representative stated that the difference was because of the interest. Now a month later this financial institution says that they made a mistake and want her to pay the $4000 difference. We are not sure where she legally stands. We do understand she had a contract with the financial institution but when she questioned the pay off amount the representative stated why there was a different

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

We do understand she had a contract with the financial institution but when she questioned the pay off amount the representative stated why there was a different

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Florida

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
The financial institution told her on Friday that someone would contact her Monday. So today the original representative that made the mistake is the one who contacted her to tell her her three options that she could do. This representative also told her that their whole conversation that happened on that day of purchase in the vehicle was recorded.
3/12/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley

have they shown any paperwork detailing the balance?

Only on the day of the sale when they excepted the balance from the car dealership. The loan is been finalized for a month.
Accepted
 replied 4 months ago

and on the paperwork it listed a payoff amount that ended up being wrong?

But both parties signed off on it and excepted it
Accepted it