Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can I sue the bank to text my information to my job, I don’t…

Customer Question
Can I sue the...

Can I sue the bank to text my information to my job, I don’t know how the bank get my job number

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Baltimore, Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was doing a transaction but instead they text me they text my job

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/12/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What happened and why did they text your job?

Also, did you suffer any financial harm as a result?

I was doing a transaction and they send it to my job in a text

Thank you for your reply

I understood that part, but 1) why did it go to your job and 2) did you suffer any money damage because they sent the text to your job?

The transaction I did went though 5 times but they put it back,is that invasion of privacy

Thank you for your reply.

If they notified your job and not you without your permission, YES it violates the confidentiality agreement they have with you. HOWEVER, I asked you did you suffer financial harm as a result of the text, because that goes to whether or not your case has any value to file?

They was no money taking out of my account if that’s what you asking me
I never get them permission to text my job and I never give them my job number
My job notified me of the text the bank sent to them

Thank you for your reply.

Please allow me to explain. Yes, if they texted your job without your consent, they broke the privacy policy contract they have with you. So, you can sue for breach of contract. Now, how much would you sue for is the next question and the answer to that is it depends on the ACTUAL HARM THEY CAUSED YOU. I asked you what harm you suffered, actual harm in this case means money damages.

So, if you have suffered very little money damage from their breaking the privacy agreement, you can sue in small claims court and seek some minimal amount of damages, usually $500-$1000. If you did suffer some ACTUAL money damage, then the value of the claim goes up and you can sue in superior court.

That is why I asked you about your money losses from their conduct.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.