Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Payed 5k down payment on vehicle then cant get registered…

Customer Question
Payed 5k down payment...

Payed 5k down payment on vehicle then cant get registered the dealer repossess the vehicle and refuse to give down payment back

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Georgia,2007 the problem is that he sold me the car without a valid driver license and took my money knowing that

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No they took truck yesterday and they were closed today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what I can do?that seems like a real rip off job if you ask me

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I told them that I would return the vehicle and get my money back and they said they were working on a solution then i hear nothing back until my truck gone
8 minutes wait time my ass
Answered in 2 days by:
3/14/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Michelle-Mod, Moderator replied 3 months ago
Michelle-Mod
Michelle-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Call me back
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have reason to believe they took advantage of your situation with the purposes of taking your down payment and then repossessing (and thus reselling) the vehicle.

This seems like an issue of unfair business practices which could give you some compensation if you were to bring a lawsuit.

1.To establish that there was an unfair practice, there must be a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer;

2. The representation is examined from the perspective of a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances; and

3. The representation, omission or practice must be material enough to affect the consumer’s conduct or decision, even though no actual reliance is required.

You may not want to consider a lawsuit at this stage as there are often government and non-profit resources that may help. You may want to consider your state’s BBB chapter or the state Attorney General’s office. Both of those organizations are dedicated to fighting fraud by businesses and if you run through the analysis above, then they can probably provide more help. Plus, the industry that you are thinking of challenging here may be governed by specific rules in your state and it could trigger a broader investigation by the government as well.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?