Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was hanging out in a nice hotel in Beverly Hills. I had a…

Hi. I was hanging out...
Hi. I was hanging out in a nice hotel in Beverly Hills. I had a cup of coffee. I was nicely dressed. An NBA team was going to be boarding the bus and actually I just wanted a look from afar. I was milling about and one of the security guys asked if I was staying at the hotel. I fibbed and said I was waiting for a friend to get a bite to eat. He invited me to go down the hall and wait in the restaurant. I said well unless you think I'm doing something wrong I'm going to wait right here (lobby). He said 'Go for it' but kept an eye on me. Then I left 10 minutes later. I know its private property and they can do whatever they want but can you give me some insight on this please? Do j have any rights at all? Thanks!
3/11/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Commercial establishments have the right to decline to serve you or to demand you leave, so long as they do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, etc.

So, the security person could have legally demanded that you leave if they wanted, but apparently, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer