Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Auto shop owner. Installed a radiator in June 2015 with a 12…

Auto shop owner. Installed...

Auto shop owner. Installed a radiator in June 2015 with a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty. June 2017 radiator fails. Sued in small claims and lost, instructed to pay damages. I don't understand. Can you provide any insight?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California, 2000 Ford Explorer, 152,000 miles, failed 14,000 miles later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, they also have a 12 month warranty, did not offer to assist.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In an attempt to assist the customer, I exchanged the radiator at no charge but the consequential damages were already repaired at another shop. Still got sued. Judge ruled that I was not in breach of warranty, but ruled that I am responsible to pay $2200 in damages.

3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
There was no negligence, but the product failed 25 months and 14,000 miles after installation. I have a signed invoice specifying a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty. Why am I still responsible for the customer damages that occurred as as a result of the radiator failure? I am trying to decide if I will appeal.
The decision appears mistaken and where court made error you may consider appeal.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Good luck. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer