Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have known a guy for 3 months He says he needs 1500

I have known a guy...
I have known a guy for 3 months
He says he needs 1500 dollars and get a ticket back to the states this a scam
3/10/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The short answer is that any time you are dealing with an online contact that you have never met in person and he asks you for money, he is a scammer. There is never any exception to that.

You know in your personal day to day life that when a stranger comes up to you on the street and hits you up for money, he's a beggar or a con artist or a thief. It's the same on the web. The difference is the person on the internet doesn't feel like a stranger because you've been talking but until you meet in person, he's only a stranger.

Feel free to tell me more about him or to upload photos of him to this question thread. But I assure you that he's a scammer who has set you up for a scam we call The Stranded Traveler. That's when he sweeps you off your feet, then has to go abroad for some reason before you can meet. Once there, he has some emergency for which only your money will do.

If you already know that I'm right -- which I suspect you do because if you didn't think your relationship with him was somewhat "off" you wouldn't be posting here about it in the first place -- cease contact with him, block him, send hiim no money and report him online to the FBI at www.IC3.gov

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is. His picture

I am unable to trace either the photo or the email address. That doesn't mean that this is his picture or that he's not a scammer. It only means that the email address is new and that the photo hasn't been reported yet or downloaded from the web.

If he was abroad on a short-term visa he wouldn't be let into a foreign country without a return ticket home.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct which he says he has no money due to bank problems in states he is millionaire so he says
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is his contract when he went to Dublin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forwarded message ---------
From: Charles Bunker <*****@******.***>
Date: Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Subject: Contract Award
To:***@******.*** <*****@******.***>Dear Engr Brent,This email is in respect to the new development regarding the Dublin Contract which you have subsequently showed interest in.I am pleased to inform you that, after much scrutiny, you have been selected as one of the best for this job and in this regard, you are expected to be in Dublin within the next 24hrs as the owners have placed a caveat of urgency on the project. There is need for you to be available for lunch tomorrow being the 1st day of January, 2018 as the contract deeds will be signed and hence the commencement of the project on the 2nd/3rd of January, 2018.Please note that time is an important factor in this deal and failure to meet up to time might result in forfeiture of the contract.Refer below for the details of the proposal.CONTRACT REF NUMBER : ACP/US/4700-BN-2018
CONTRACT TYPE : BUILDING CONSTRUCTION OF SHOPPING MALL.
TOTAL CONTRACT VALUE : $15,000,000.00
SITE OF CONTRACT : DUBLIN IRELAND
DURATION OF CONTRACT : 3 MONTHSOn behalf of my company, humbly apologize for any inconveniences this might cause you and for the short notice of this email. However, in our continuous effort to give you the best service, sacrifices like this has to be made and we implore you to treat this email as a matter of optimum urgency.I wish you a very merry New Years Eve.Thanks for your cooperation.Best regards.

This is not a valid contract. It lacks specificity, terms, provisions, exclusions and more.

This is the Stranded Traveler scam, just as I predicted earlier. Here's how it works, and I know a lot of this will sound very familiar to you:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He talks love, marriage, future and forever before you can even meet in person.

He seems to be everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck.

Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business, most commonly as an engineer, contractor or architect. His job, he claims, can involve foreign contracts and international traveling.

And lo and behold, he can't meet you because he must go abroad for business purposes to some country neither his nor yours, for work on what he claims is a multi-million dollar contract for him. He may even show you a copy of that contract so that you can see how wealthy he is going to be.

But once abroad, Mr Perfect suddenly will turn into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure, for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his possessions and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

The excuses are all lies, designed only to part you with your money. Any real contractor working abroad would have insurance for these emergencies. And if he were good enough to land a major contract, he'd have to be fully vetted by that government and he wouldn't have to tap a stranger for money.

You can see a list of some of the tried and true excuses here, some of which may look familiar to you:

http://romancescams.org/TypesOfScams

This scam can come complete with phony documents, phony contracts, phony customs workers, phony lawyers and more.

But no matter what you do, the emergencies keep on coming, and he never gets an inch closer to coming back to the States.

I know you may think he loves you, you probably think you may love him and you may believe he's real. But he's not.

Report the fraud to your police and to the FBI at www.IC3.gov. In that way, even in the worst case scenario if the police come up with nothing, you can write off your losses when you file your 2018 taxes, since as the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I blocked him he says you are a liar and a manipulative
We are so close to seeing each other but still you won’t help me I will never forgive you
I need to work on myself
What drama

They never admit that they are crooks, unfortunately. They turn it against you and try to make you feel guilty. Don't lose any sleep over him. Real romantic prospects want you and not your money.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer