Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If I have an Idaho State registered car that I brought to…

Customer Question
If I have an...

If I have an Idaho State registered car that I brought to California because I gifted it to my daughter and she's having it shipped to Hawaii, is it okay for me to take my plates off of the car? SHe will have the car driven to the port and my concern is the plates not being on the car in case whomever is driving the car is stopped by the police.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California. 2010

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I'm signing the title to my daughter but someone is going to drive the car to the shipping company. Is it better to leave the plates on in case that someone is stopped while driving it to the shipping company? Then have her mail the plates to me? OR can I remove the plates like I would normally do and can it be driven without plates just to the shipping company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 2 days by:
3/11/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

is it okay for me to take my plates off of the car?

.

Absolutely. And that is exactly what you should do in order to protect yourself from someone driving the car without first registering it in their name. The person driving it would need to have any transfer paperwork or bill of sale signed by you. There is some risk that they would get cited for driving a car without plates, but the other options are for you to leave plates on it, (which puts you at risk) for force her to title the car in her name before she takes possession of it, which might be problematic if she isn't local.

.

But the odds are pretty slim that the person would actually be stopped just driving it to the port..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No, I appreciate your answer but i was surprised at how long I had to wait. not your fault but makes me anyicipate using this service again. I needed to figure out before sending the car, but the response came after and I had to make a decision so I sent the car with the plates and now the receiver will have to mail them back. Thanks.

Yes, that is kind of weird... you posted the question on the 9th and it didnt' appear until the 11th... I apologize for the delay that you experienced. I wish I could tell you why that happened, but as a site user like you, I have no idea..

.

Usually questions pop up within a minute or two of a customer posting them and an expert will respond in a few minutes...

.

.

Have a great evening and I am sorry if the info wasn't timely..