Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I leased a vehicle in 2015 from Ford. I transferred over…

Hello, I leased a...

Hello, I leased a vehicle in 2015 from Ford. I transferred over insurance coverage from my previous vehicle, which did not include Collision. I was hit on the interstate in a hit-and-run accident. Because I wasn't able to track down the driver who hit me, insurance is refusing to pay for nearly $6,000 in damages.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

In my lease agreement, I have the Certificate of Insurance from the Dealer, and although I have signed off as of 7 Sept 2015, the dealer did not sign off. North Carolina, and it's a 2016 Ford Escape

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We filed a police report at the date of the incident, which was about a year ago, but haven't repaired the vehicle yet because of the high cost.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think my real question is this... As to my knowledge, although it's good practice for a dealership to ensure someone leasing a new car has full coverage, it's not required by law. That being said, can any weight be given to the fact that I have signed the "certificate of Insurance" but the dealer did not?

3/10/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Response: No. You need to file complaint with your State's Department of Insurance/Insurance Commissioner if the insurer still refuses to pay for the damages on the car. Most States Departments of Insurance have online present where you can file your complaint online. A simple Google search would lead you to the site.

Goodluck with your claim,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law