Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have made a change in attnys. My initial attny i gave a…

Customer Question
I have made a...

I have made a change in attnys. My initial attny i gave a 5,000 dollar retainer. Their retainer stated 5 ,000 for 3 misdemeanors. The retainer would cover all court appearances and negotiations with prosecutors. No hourly fee was listed. The retainer has no exit clause........so after 2 weeks of unsatisfied service , i canceled the credit card charge and the money was refunded fully. Now they are asking me for 1,000 back claiming they made phone calls to the DA office. No court appearances have taken place. What are they entitled to?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

New York. Purchase made 2/12

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No motions in court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I put a letter in writing canceling services 2/28. They continued to work and claimed they negotiated with the DA on 3/1.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/9/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If the firm/attorney was retained on a flat fee basis, they would be entitled to the $5000 which was agreed to for representation. Typically, these fees are earned upon payment, as long as the attorney were to represent you as agreed under the retainer agreement. If they were working on the case and handling the three misdemeanors, there would need to be a legal basis for which you were entitled to fire them and get a refund, less money earned, up to that point. You shared that you were not satisfied after two weeks, so it would need to be known what the issue was, why and what they failed to do. If you got a full refund, they would be at least entitled to work done and there could have been work done by the staff, opening and setting up the file, calls being made and other work done on the case, in the office. If you can ask them to break down what was done, you could try and determine what the hourly rate would be for that, if they billed and try and settle with them, to avoid a lawsuit.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!