Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I opened an account on March 1st on March 7th when I

Customer Question
I opened an account...

I opened an account on March 1st on March 7th when I returned to the bank to withdraw money the same bank teller recognized me and pulled Me to last window and stated that the day she gave me money off my card she gave me 500 to much and since they couldn't get in contact with me she withdrew the money out of my account . I told her she did not give me 500 dollars extra because she counted the money back and I had 2 sets of receipts proving that she only gave me correct amount

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio I waited for several hours for a manger to come and address the situation the bank teller lied and said that she never counted the money back to me so I told them to pull up the camera footage because that was not true when the manager came finally from a city 20 min away she and the security manager said that they had to open an investigation and could only put the money back in my account with a hold on it and only if it was found that the bank tellers statements were false

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The security manger called me today and said that they looked over the camera and found that i was telling the truth and that they were going to release the hold on my account then went on to ask me if I was going to close the account and said that the manger will be there for an hour is so . When I intialy address the situation to the manger after eating several hour for her I told her how unprofessional the teller was how she stated the she did not care about my kids and personal life how my stepfather wasn't there which in fact he was and he also came and waits for the manger to tell them how was a witness but had to leave after an hour if waiting. I told them how she told that I could wait as long as I wanted she didn't care because she was leaving laughed in my face and threatened to call the police but never did because there was no justification for her to call the police

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The manger when she came had me account for all my money and they just took her word the bank teller made a teller receipt that day for 6500 to take off my card but when it didn't go through she instead of her getting rid of that receipt she kept I evidence that she couldn't take that much off my card but I only could 2500 each transition so I calculated all my bills in front of the clerk so I could take appropriate amount off they came to 5800 so I told her to take 2500 off twice and then 1000 equaling 6000 I started the a savings account with 2500 on the video you should be able to see me separate my money in front of her I placed 1320 in an envelop and marked it ms. Teresa I asked her for a 600 money order for my rent 250 for a debt I handed my stepfather 50 placed 100 aside for my mother who had been bugging me all morning for her money and when I realized I had over a grand still on me I asked her to put 800 more dollars in the bank account because I was going straight to work and I didn't want that much cash on me so after that I add 200 more dollars to my rent 50 more to the debt I had and another 100 to my babysitter and since I am a server I was already going to make money so I didn't want that much cash on me especially since I had to go straight to work after dropping all the money off to the appropriate PPL this what the manger asked me to do with her in the office I felt belittled looked at as a liar and discrimated against I had to leave because I just started crying after the manger said that is was going to be few days for the investigation and I was telling the truth

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/9/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. That is outrageous behavior by a teller. The teller should be fired. I recommend a demand letter to the legal department of the bank outlining what happened, demanding the return of your money to your account and demanding the dishonest teller be fired. I would copy the branch manager on the letter. You will need to threaten a lawsuit against the bank for improperly withdrawing the money from your account without your consent or authorization.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.