Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I took out a student loan in 1981 i never received anything…

Customer Question
I took out a...

I took out a student loan in 1981 i never received anything on it i then forgot about now i received a envelope in mail no return sender info, 2 days ago my bank calla me to say my account was levied can they do that without notification

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the school located? And is it a public or private institution?

Santa Barbara it is a business school

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Well ill take care of it but a notice or even a bill would have been nice i believe the school is no longer was 37 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i just was caught by surprise the bank called mom day and i receive a letter today not certified i was never served

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I'm worried now is this a scam. i researched this site had good reviews but now I'm wondering
Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Was this a government loan such as subsidized or unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

A levy cannot be put on your bank account without a Court Order if this is not a government loan.

Have you checked to see if a lawsuit was filed, but you did not respond to it?

It is just weird that after staying dormant all these years that your bank account would now be seized.

Kindly explain a little more.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I do not know if it was a government loan. I received papers after the fact. Was in a envelope with no info I almost threw away I thought was junk mail.

Thank you for information.

Well, in order to figure out if the levy is proper, you need to get more information regarding the loan. It makes a difference whether the loan is a private or government loan.

What is your specific question?