Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was contacted by card member services saying one of my…

I was contacted by...

I was contacted by card member services saying one of my cards overcharged me for interest so they are saying Tri star consumer law will get my debt down by 40% and all I have to do is pay for privacy guard for 1 yr. Who is tri star consumer law? Are they legit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They had all my credit card numbers

3/8/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any answer for me yet?

I am so very sorry. I thought I uploaded an answer to you yesterday. Give me a minute to redo this for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

We've been asked about TriStar several times before.

If you are talking about TriStar Consumer Law in Nashville, Tennessee, a company by that name was incorporated in Tennessee, but it is practically brand new. It has only been in existence since July 26, 2017.

While scammers don't always bother to register their phony companies with the state, it is easy and inexpensive enough to do so and many do just that. Then after a year when their tax filings and fees are due, they don't submit them and are canceled from the state's corporate register. Until then, however, they look legitimate.

It is too soon, therefore, for me to see whether this law firm is for real. I'd note, however, that their website and domain name are also brand new, having only been created on August 9, 2017. And they have registered their domain name for only 1 year, which is the least amount of time one can own a domain name for. It is both professionally and economically desirable to protect your domain by registering for many years at a time. That is what legitimate businesses tend to do. It is a sign of a likely scam for a business to set itself up to quickly disappear, especially a law firm which you would expect would want to stick around.

Debt modification/consolidation is a high scam area and while I can't say for certain that they are scammers, the red flags are there. Additionally, most of these debt consolidation companies, even when legitimate, do nothing more than what you could do for yourself for nothing.

The privacy guard requirement is weird and may just be there to get around the fact that these companies aren't supposed to charge an upfront fee for debt modification.

If you want to use a debt consolidation company, I suggest she look for one through the Better Business Bureau at BBB.org. You can find one that has been around for years and which has a good track record and reputation in the industry. TriStar is, at best, ***** ***** slate and at worst an outright scam. The BBB is aware of it but it's too new for them to have any data either.

Here's a warning about debt relief scams from the Federal Trade Commission, and it mentions at the bottom that they cannot charge a fee until they've actually reduced your debt:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/consumer-finance/debt-relief-credit-repair-scams

As you've given out your credit account information to them, take precautions against identity theft.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. I figured it was a scam.do you know of any good identity theft protection companies

You can put a fraud alert on your credit history by contacting any one of the three credit reporting bureaus -- Equifax, Experian or Transunion -- and asking for one. If someone looks to open credit cards or take out loans in your name, they will call you to make sure that you've authorized this.

The fraud alert is free for 90 days and then it can be extended for a fee. Or you can go with a service such as LifeLock.

You may want to contact your card carriers before you do that and see if they advise that you should close your cards and open new ones.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer