Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Need help with a problem with a credit card. MD. about 2…

Need help with a...

Need help with a problem with a credit card.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

MD. about 2 months ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Repored to FTC who referred me to CFPB. They suggested I call Legal aid (am a senior) but I cannot reach them by phone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What can you do for me? I have limited resources

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
JC Penney cancelled my card which I have had for 20+ years with excellent credit. I want my card reinstated immediately. By cancelling my card my credit score dropped 15+ points. I have never missed a payment and have maintained my account intact.
They offered me an additional card to my account which I gave my daughter to use. She was t make payments for what she purchased but she made mistakes during rhe process. And for this reason they shut down the card.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, any credit extended by any company is at the discretion of the creditor. A court cannot make someone issue you credit or even reinstate the card. If you read the account agreement, it also says in there the account can be cancelled for no reason at all at the discretion of the credit card company.

Legal aid cannot make them reinstate the card. You would have a legal case if you can prove the creditor violated the terms of the account agreement, but if your daughter used the card and for any reason did not make payment, then they will argue they actually had good cause to do this.

Most times instead of suing, calling the creditor and explaining the situation will get them to reinstate the card, but again, that is all discretionary to the creditor, which is why the FTC and CFPB would not assist.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if I did not miss any payments even though my daughter messed up pm her end? I made more than was required to maintain a good standing/ I had a credit limit of $6,000 and only owed $2,000. I did call them right away before I went to the FTC

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that your daughter was on your account, so her conduct on your account can be attributed to you as the master account. You need to call them again and speak to a supervisor about your 20 years of loyal status and payment history and seek to get your daughter removed and reopen your account, but ultimately it is all up to the discretion of the creditor.

Thank you for your last comment.

I cannot make up laws and I wish I could for your situation. It was your daughter's conduct that caused this issue and it is now something you have to resolve with the creditor. If there was something illegally done, then the FTC would have helped you.

Please do not blame your expert for things that are not the expert's fault though.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer