Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a used camper from a VA dealer on Saturday and…

I purchased a used...

I purchased a used camper from a VA dealer on Saturday and had it taken to there service center for service. They called me today to tell me it is leaking and needs a new roof. It has rained several days over the last week and there was no sign of water or water damage however 2 days later it needs a new roof. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When we were purchasing camper I asked about the roof since there was no ladder available and the sales guy said it’s been raining hard and there is no sign f leaks.

3/7/2018
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great

Good evening. Was any warranty given on it or was it sold as is? If you just bought it, why would you not ask that they service it prior to the purchase? Just to be clear, the same place you bought it from is saying you need a new roof? If so, have you spoken to them about this and that you bought it just 4 days ago?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
While looking at the camper I inquired about the condition of the roof since I was not able to access it, and the sales guy stated “we’ve had it for a few weeks and it has rained hard several days and there is no signs of water, stains or an odor. Since they recommend the roof get resealed yearly I decided to have them do it. Not the type of thing you’re going to pay for in advance. They sold it as is.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sales office was closed,when I got the call this evening from service dept

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond

I think in a situation like this if you relied on the representation of the salesman and it was false, misleading and deceptive, you could have a basis to sue and ask that they make the repairs. Since this only happened a few days ago, he is likely still employed and you should speak with the manager or owner of the lot to address this. It is odd that there was no ladder to access it and they did not offer you a way to check it out, so there could be an issue here, as that is suspicious, if they prevented that. When it was sold as is, they did not make any representation or warranty BUT that does not mean they can lie or make false statements which you rely on, that are false and inaccurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wouldn’t call him deceptive necessarily there was logic in the point he made, there wasn’t any signs of water. That being said they did not provide me with any options for viewing the roof and 4 days later there service dept is sating it needs an entire new roof. My concern is they will hide behind the sold as is.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cost of a new roof is double the value of the camper.

Yes, they may do so, since there is nothing in writing and if there were no visible signs, he would not have lied. If they got under it and say this and it was not visible by the naked eye, then you may not have a cause of action but I have to believe they would work with you on the price, since you bought it from them only four days ago.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to conclude what is your legal recommendation?

Certainly, speak with them. Advise them of the situation and what you spoke about with the salesman and ask if they would work with you on this. Tell them you were not able to inspect it and see it and are not happy you bought this and is new roof is needed and it is twice the cost of the camper. It is going to be your word against the salesman if you have to sue, so they may want to avoid court seeing how bad the reputation is.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My wife was present during the conversation if that matters
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx

You are welcome. Yes, she has first-hand knowledge and could testify as well to this. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer