Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter's car was involved in a one car accident and it…

My daughter's car...

My daughter's car was involved in a one car accident and it was driven by her nefphew when the accident occurred. He signed a wrecker driver's form to take the car to a lot for storage. The lot owner has repair facilities claims he was given authorization to repair the car. My daughter went to the lot and told the owner of the lot ( do not repair my car ).Now she has a $500.00 "TEAR DOWN" charge against her car. They simply took the front bumper & grill off of the car & the rear bumper. We went to his shop today ( 3rd trip ) with $500.00 cash ( they would not accept a credit card ) & they would not give her a paid in full receipt There was no break-down in the bill (just TEAR DOWN ). The owner would not sign the receipt but wanted my daughter to sign his receipt. Can my daughter sue in small claims court; put up a bond for the $500.00 and go to trial later?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

This is in the State of Texas and the vehicle is a 2012 Toyota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only her Insurance claim with State Farm

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This company has many complaints against them in the Harris county area

3/7/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Small claims court will not be able to issue an order like this, they can only award money judgments. So she would have to pay this business and she would then have to sue for breach of contract or unfair and deceptive practices. She would need to sign his receipt writing next to her signature or under her signature"paid in full with reservation of all rights." If the business rejects this, then she has to sue for replevin in the superior court to seek recovery of her car and she can put the bond up in the replevin case, but that is not small claims, it is in the District court in the county where this is taking place.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.