Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

It was just brought to my attention that the dearlership…

Customer Question
It was just brought...

It was just brought to my attention that the dearlership that my husband and I bought our cars through used his income but my credit score and did not place him on the loan (like they stated they would). He was supposed to be primary since there was no way I would be able to afford the cars and myself co. Both cars (through two separate lenders) are under my name with his not being listed at all. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

SC... 2 years old the second one is 3 years old

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Reported or filed by lenders? Or reported or filed by us ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I recently was charged a late payment... as the loan was supposed to be deferred. Also I’m a stay at home mom so no income.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Bought the cars 1 year ago.
3/7/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is actually considered loan fraud, but you were supposed to read all of the documents before you signed them as well. It is not legal for the dealer to misrepresent your income to the lender and if they did so, you can file a complaint to the lender and also the Attorney General for unfair and deceptive business practices. However, it does not absolve you from liability for the loans if you signed the documents I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.