Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I attempted cashing a cashiers check at a money mart

Customer Question
Hello, I attempted cashing...

Hello, I attempted cashing a cashiers check at a money mart location and I believe they voided it unlawfully. Can I recieve compensation for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not to the police, but i have filed a small claims

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I provided reference information including my mom and sister in the beginning of the process, after she purposely voided my check with no authentication done, she calls my mother to come and get me. I am a 18 year old tax paying adult, and I believe she violated my privacy as well.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Question:

Response: Yes, you can. You would have to file lawsuit against the "money mart" for destroying your property. There is nothing in California Civil Code Title 1.6F Sections 1789.30 through 1789.38, which govern check cashiers that authorized the money mart to destroy your property. Also, you are 18, so your mother and family members do not need to know your business. Thus, the money mart violated your privacy. You can sue the company for that also.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.