Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A guy with no license, no insurance, and no license plate…

Customer Question
A guy with no...

A guy with no license, no insurance, and no license plate totaled my truck. A cop suggested I have it told to a cop impound lot so I did. I thought I had full coverage on my truck but found out I didn't. The truck is old and totaled, and I'm stuck with a daily impound fee. What'll happen if I just leave it there?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

California. It's a 1989 Ford Ranger.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yeah, the cop made a police report and I filed a claim with my insurance carrier.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/7/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

At some point, they'll repossess the truck and sell it to pay the fees. However, they can also choose to sue you for any excess fees or the cost of having it removed from the yard if the truck has no value. You have the ability to sue the person who hit you, if you know who he is, but it's possible that you'd still wind up having to pay. The other problem is, if you simply leave it there, you have no control over how much time passes before they decide to repossess the truck, which means you have no control over how much the fees stack up.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?