Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My 2000 sq to moble home burned down (total loss) back in…

Customer Question
My 2000 sq to...

My 2000 sq to moble home burned down (total loss) back in Sept of 2017...My insurance as of Feb 19, 2018 had not completed the things they needed to do and was still getting measurements. They are now refusing to pay rent on the place that I am staying in after the end of this month (March). Stating that I should have already torn down the burnt out home and had another place either built or another moble home put in. How am I suppose to tare down when they have not gotten all of the information, they need to complete the claim. The reason they have not completed is because of the adjuster incompetency, she does not know what she is doing. She has screwed so much up. Also, the adjuster has lied to me, been awfully rude. I have asked repeatedly for a copy of my original policy since day one. After going through several people, they finally sent me a summary of my policy which was dye-docked out so you could not read it. I went to the insurance commissioner of SC. They told me I had to ask for the "certified copy." When I asked my adjust for my "certified copy" her response was. " we don't give out the" certified copy" unless it is requested through and attorney. I asked her why would I have to go through an attorney to get something as simple as a copy of my policy. Also, from what I was told when I took out the policy 19 years ago, differs greatly that what "they say" the policy states. However, not having a copy (because mine was destroyed in fire) makes it difficult to dispute. Can you help me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Been reported to whom?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is alot more

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Also I have replacement cost... The house that I had had four bedrooms a living room, den. The house I am replacing it with will only have three bedroom only one family room and only a small eat in kitchen. I will not need the fourth bedroom set and I will not need to two living suites as before only one. And I will not have a formal dining area. So, I will not need a dining room suit. The insurance company is saying that if I do not physically go and buy all these items. The items I don't buy I will not get compensated for. I had the items insured...what different s to them does it make if I replace it or not?
3/7/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that you are going through all of this with the insurance company. My recommendation to you is to file a complaint with the SC Insurance Commission who will make an investigation and make the insurance company comply with the policy requirements and enforce your rights. They will also fine the insurance company and pay your damages to you. It doesn't cost anything to file, and you can do it online through this link:

https://online.doi.sc.gov/eng/public/consumer/complaint.aspx

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.