Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Knew a guy for 4 weeks Wanted 2000 dollars At first I said…

Knew a guy for 4...
Knew a guy for 4 weeks
Wanted 2000 dollars
At first I said would try but after thinking on it I said I can’t do it
He said you promised
I want to marry youShould I feel bad
2/20/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No. You met a romance scammer. You should feel very relieved. Like you just dodged a bullet.

No stranger who is legitimate would ask you for $4,000. It's certainly not the way you would impress someone you really want to marry.

Your instincts were perfectly correct. Rather than feeling bad, you ought to congratulate yourself that you sniffed out the scam before you got hurt.

He said can’t get loan at bank has no credit history

Have you met this guy in person or is he just an internet contact? If he's made it to adulthood and has no credit history, he's fallen out of the sky from another planet.

He's also a poor risk for a loan from you.

I spent time with him this past weekend although I picked up the majority of the expense
He is from Jamaica and he only uses cash and debit card
I advised him getting quick loan online he said they won’t loan me 2000 why

I would not recommend giving him a loan. Even if he's not a scammer, why would you even consider marrying someone who's starting to bleed you dry before you even get your relationship off of the ground?

I bet you have friends you have known all of your life, who wouldn't ask you for $4,000. You know how irregular a request like this is from a near-stranger. And if someone he knows for 4 weeks is the only person he can ask for money, he's either conning you or he's worn out his welcome with his other friends and relatives or both.

He's not your responsibility.

He said do not let me down you promised to help me and my boys
I need a better place than I have now
I will pay you back
You have to trust me
You can’t do this to me
He said to download money app and then you can just send it to me fast I did not feel comfortable putting debit number on an app like this
I was going to take money from my Ira then I thought what an idiot
But he said I need it right now

All of that is consistent with someone who just wants to take advantage of your better nature. He wants your bank account information?

Come on! You know better than this! Your gut has already told you that helping him is wrong. Don't let him try to guilt you into losing $4,000. Just walk away from him.

I spent like over 1000 dollars to fly and see him and hotel and I had to pick up majority of the meals

I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. If what you want is to support this guy until your money runs out and he leaves you for someone else with money, you go right ahead. But I'm not going to be the one to tell you it's a good idea.

I stand by my answer.

Leave

Yup. Leave him.

Thanks

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer